Tuesday 10 October 2017

Invisible Cities - Zenobia

Over the weekend I have had a rethink over my Invisible Cities project. I've decided to go with Zenobia, and I've created a mind map of the key words from the text to help me come up with ideas:


I decided to do a mind map because I didn't want a repeat of Fedora, where I would go off the text and end up with a completely inaccurate city! Whilst I was doing this map, the idea struck me of Chinese/Japanese bamboo architecture, as those countries are known for growing bamboo. I also talked to Oliver about my ideas and he told me about a bayou in New Orleans, which is a kind of swamp. This could be an idea to use for the environment my city will be based in.

In my toolkit lesson yesterday with Jordan, we started to explore our cities a bit more, and I drew out a few more detailed ideas. I've numbered them to show which drawing I started with, and how it developed.



I like number three a lot, as it really describes how I want the outside of the city to look like. It incorporates this idea of Japanese and Chinese architecture, and uses bamboo as the main building material of the city. I'd like to develop this drawing digitally and see if there's anything else that I could add.


I also spent some time trying to work out some of the finer details that may be in the city, like the trees and the surrounding environment. I used locations in China as my inspiration for these drawings:


My next step will be to make an influence map, gathering all of the pictures I find fit with the city and putting them in one place. I'm really happy I've decided to change cities, as I'm liking the idea I've developed even more than my last one!

No comments:

Post a Comment